Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Gear Review: Jetboil PCS

Being that I am planning some backcountry trips in the coming months and definitly some longer trips next year I have been working on gearing up. The first item on my list was something that I thought would be helpful on short day trips to mountain streams or even on Bow River floats and that is a backpacking stove.


Jetboil PCS - A whole lot of awesome!



I decided to go with the Jetboil PCS. The PCS is a clever little system that packs into the size of a Nalgene bottle. The cooking vessel is the container that holds the fuel, stove portion and even a couple accessories (pot support and canister stand). After emptying the contents out of the cooking vessel, the unit assembles in no time flat.

The cooking canister can be used to cook a variety of meals from dehydrated packages to full blown pasta dinners. The unit can boil 2 cups of water in less than 2 minutes for coffee or tea. The cooking vessel then doubles as a serving device with an insulated sipping lid for beverages.

Although I haven't logged any field time with this fine piece of kit, I have made some killer camp coffee while doing some woodworking in my garage! I will report back after a couple trips to the wild with it to see if my opinion changes. Until then my reccomendation is to go out and buy one!

1 comment:

  1. These stoves are excellent for light travel esp. when u want that morning coffee - fast! I prefer the top of the line Peak stoves. Peak Multi-fuel (gasoline, kerosene, naptha, diesel, jet fuel, etc).

    ReplyDelete